Who We Are
Pulmonary Rehabilitation program offered by HCHC's Cardiopulmonary Services is an individualized program designed to help improve the quality of life for individuals with pulmonary disease.
What We Do
Through the use of exercise and education, the program will encourage the participant to take a more active role in his or her health. One of the goals of the program is to enable each participant to live a more fulfilling, enjoyable life.
Am I a candidate for the Program?
- You may enter the program if...
- You are referred by your physician.
- You have been diagnosed with Lung Disease (C.O.P.D.), Emphysema, Asthma, Chronic Bronchitis, Pulmonary Fibrosis).
- You have the desire to comply and actively participate in the program.
- You are a non-smoker or are willing to participate in a smoking cessation program.
What type of exercise will I be doing?
All exercise sessions will be supervised by the Cardiopulmonary staff. Each patient will be given a safe, individualized exercise program designed by our staff based on your pre-enrollment testing.
Exercises featured include:
- Breathing retraining
- Monitored exercise sessions
- Energy conservation
How long is the program?
The program will be three days per week until your goal (based upon pre-testing) is achieved. Following this achievement you may continue on with a maintenance program.
What information can I share with my family?
One of the goals is to educate you and your family. We will provide information on medication, stress, diet, anatomy and your diagnosis.
Is the program covered by insurance?
Medicare, Medicaid and private insurance will pay a portion of the cost in most cases. The Pulmonary Rehabilitation staff can assist you in communicating with your insurance provider to determine what your portion of payment will be, if any.