For patients undergoing a surgical procedure, please review the following pre-op checklist:
- If you drink liquor, beer or wine, stop drinking at least two days prior to surgery.
- Do not eat or drink anything (as reminded earlier) after midnight the night before surgery.
- If you develop a fever, cold, rash, or anything that may be of concern to you, call your doctor or the ASU department prior to your Surgery at 319-385-6171.
- Have someone to drive you home and stay with you for at least 24 hours.
- Bring your Advanced Medical Directive if you have one.
- If you smoke, stop or at least cut down prior to surgery and NO smoking after midnight.
- Call 319-385-6171 or your surgeon if you have any questions!
Following are instructions for patients who will be undergoing a surgical procedure which involves an incision. This does not include: procedures on the face, head, eyes, nose or in the mouth; rectal, vaginal or urology procedures; or colonoscopy and esophagus/stomach endoscopy. If you have any questions, or are uncertain if you should do this, please call either your surgeon or the ASU department at 319-385-6171.
It is recommended that surgical patients perform a shower or bath both the evening before surgery, and the morning of surgery.
- You will receive 2 Chlorhexidine scrub brushes from your surgeon. If you do not receive these, please stop at the Ambulatory Surgery Department and we will give them to you.
- The night before surgery, take a shower or bath and wash using the sponge side of the scrub brush, being sure to focus on the part of the body that will be operated on.
- Repeat the shower or bath the morning of surgery, before going to the Hospital.
- DO NOT shave or remove hair at this time. This will be done at the hospital before surgery if necessary.
- If you have any questions, please call the Ambulatory Surgery Department at 319-385-6171.